Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

[split] Who gets the name? Aresco League negotiating strategy
Bookmark and Share
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
[split] Who gets the name? Aresco League negotiating strategy
(03-02-2013 09:41 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/coll...chism.html

"There's nothing that can't happen that doesn't involve the color green," said the Big East source.
The negotiating pressure seems to be on the Catholic Seven group,

That article makes it sound like the Aresco league is being petty and trying to F over the C7 and Fox. They know they will sell it but they want more money and want to screw over their Tues presentation.
03-02-2013 09:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
RE: Who gets the name? Links and quotes
Thread split to discuss Aresco League strategy in 3, 2, 1....
03-02-2013 10:15 AM
johnbragg Offline

RE: [split] Who gets the name? Aresco League negotiating strategy
(03-02-2013 09:55 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(03-02-2013 09:41 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/coll...chism.html

"There's nothing that can't happen that doesn't involve the color green," said the Big East source.
The negotiating pressure seems to be on the Catholic Seven group,

That article makes it sound like the Aresco league is being petty and trying to F over the C7 and Fox. They know they will sell it but they want more money and want to screw over their Tues presentation.

Of course they want more money. And part of that is using the Tuesday presentation as a pressure point.

Or they're a completely disorganized rabble who can't come to an agreement among themselves. Given what C7 sources said to the Bergen-Record about a lack of communication from Aresco, and two straight meetings of their leadership with no concrete results except a mutual decision by SDSU to go back to the MWC, it's very possible that their side doesn't have a consensus.

OTOH, Jeremy Fowler keeps coming up with emails among their presidents, so even if Aresco isn't communicating, maybe the presidents are communicating on their own.
03-02-2013 10:22 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
RE: Who gets the name? Links and quotes
(03-02-2013 10:15 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  Thread split to discuss Aresco League strategy in 3, 2, 1....

Bragg has a theory and I'm starting to think he is right. John Bragg thinks Aresco doesn't communicate well or pass much information to the schools. He could be right. Information to that affect leaked out of some of the C7 schools in December.

Sounds like Aresco and the C7 had an agreement, but the presidents were totally out of the loop. Same thing appears to have happened on the tv deal. It seems like Aresco is off doing deals without getting the schools on board first. I don't think the presidents are very happy and I don't think that Aresco understands he is not working for CBS anymore. He has 10 bosses--not one.

Yup. I think John Bragg is on to something with this theory.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2013 10:26 AM by Attackcoog.)
03-02-2013 10:24 AM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
For the first time in months Aresco is playing a power position. Why wouldn't he try to bargain for the largest sum of money. Maybe there isn't agreement on how much and who gets what when but stop fooling yourselves about the presidents.

There are a lot of little details and legal hurdles to jump through.

Fans want this done already (including any plans Delany has for the future) but we just have sit back and watch this play out.
03-02-2013 10:30 AM
johnbragg Offline

(03-02-2013 10:30 AM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  For the first time in months Aresco is playing a power position. Why wouldn't he try to bargain for the largest sum of money. Maybe there isn't agreement on how much and who gets what when but stop fooling yourselves about the presidents.

Fans want this done already (including any plans Delany has for the future) but we just have sit back and watch this play out.

It's possible that the Aresco League presidents are united behind closed doors, that they're on board, that Aresco and the C-7 made a deal for $X, and they've decided to hold out over the weekend for $X + Y. But if that's the case, I think you'd want some positive news out of this meeting, just something. It's glaring that there's no announcement on the ESPN deal. Not even an announcement that everyone's on board with inviting ECU as soon as the C7 issues are settled.

That indicates to me that there was a lot of disagreement in Atlanta. Which means that there was a lot of disagreement walking in, which means that Aresco didn't successfully manage the politics.
03-02-2013 10:46 AM
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(03-02-2013 10:46 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(03-02-2013 10:30 AM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  For the first time in months Aresco is playing a power position. Why wouldn't he try to bargain for the largest sum of money. Maybe there isn't agreement on how much and who gets what when but stop fooling yourselves about the presidents.

It's possible that the Aresco League presidents are united behind closed doors, that they're on board, that Aresco and the C-7 made a deal for $X, and they've decided to hold out over the weekend for $X + Y. But if that's the case, I think you'd want some positive news out of this meeting, just something. It's glaring that there's no announcement on the ESPN deal. Not even an announcement that everyone's on board with inviting ECU as soon as the C7 issues are settled.

That indicates to me that there was a lot of disagreement in Atlanta. Which means that there was a lot of disagreement walking in, which means that Aresco didn't successfully manage the politics.

I mean why would they NOT agree to the ESPN deal? If they turn it down then what else are they going to get? Thats the best deal available, and they cant even agree to that.

Also it was reported that the C7 were going to give up ALL of the NCAA and exit money to get out early and take the name. I dont know how much more the Aresco schools would want? Do they want the name AND all the money? No F'in way. I say we announce we are with Fox and known as the Big East and see what they do about that.
03-02-2013 11:22 AM
johnbragg Offline

(03-02-2013 11:22 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

I mean why would they NOT agree to the ESPN deal? If they turn it down then what else are they going to get? Thats the best deal available, and they cant even agree to that.

Also it was reported that the C7 were going to give up ALL of the NCAA and exit money to get out early and take the name.

By whom? Blauschun's garbled account as $20M for us, $40M for them.

Quote:I dont know how much more the Aresco schools would want? Do they want the name AND all the money? No F'in way. I say we announce we are with Fox and known as the Big East and see what they do about that.

Announcing that we're out the door and with Fox is pretty likely if there's no agreement soon. Claiming the name like that is pretty bold, and I haven't associated our leadership with "bold". I know Frank The Tank and Stever20 disagree, but I don't see dumping that crew as "bold."
03-02-2013 11:30 AM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(03-02-2013 11:30 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(03-02-2013 11:22 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

Also it was reported that the C7 were going to give up ALL of the NCAA and exit money to get out early and take the name.

By whom? Blauschun's garbled account as $20M for us, $40M for them.

Quote:I dont know how much more the Aresco schools would want? Do they want the name AND all the money? No F'in way. I say we announce we are with Fox and known as the Big East and see what they do about that.

Announcing that we're out the door and with Fox is pretty likely if there's no agreement soon. Claiming the name like that is pretty bold, and I haven't associated our leadership with "bold". I know Frank The Tank and Stever20 disagree, but I don't see dumping that crew as "bold."

Per SI.com's Pete Thamel

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college...t=uk_t2_a7

"The Big East football schools are expected to keep nearly all of the exit fees the league earned from its spree of attrition and the leftover NCAA units from the departure of schools such as Pittsburgh, West Virginia and Syracuse."
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2013 12:04 PM by NJRedMan.)
03-02-2013 12:04 PM
Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

I Root For: UConn
At this point the C7 should go nuclear and blow up the Big East.

:noisycricket: :tomcat: :bustacap: :noisycricket: :smokie: :ugaexams: 01-france

Vote to dissolve and put this thing out of its misery.
03-02-2013 12:14 PM
johnbragg Offline

(03-02-2013 12:04 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  Per SI.com's Pete Thamel

"The Big East football schools are expected to keep nearly all of the exit fees the league earned from its spree of attrition and the leftover NCAA units from the departure of schools such as Pittsburgh, West Virginia and Syracuse."

That would be the max offer, yeah. I suppose there's some room between "nearly all" and "all", but not much,
03-02-2013 12:42 PM
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(03-02-2013 12:42 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  

That would be the max offer, yeah. I suppose there's some room between "nearly all" and "all", but not much,

If Thamel is correct and thats the actual offer what else can the Aresco league hold out for? If they turn that down we can use it against them in court to show that they are not negotiating in good faith.
03-02-2013 12:54 PM
Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

I Root For: UConn
(03-02-2013 12:54 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

If Thamel is correct and thats the actual offer what else can the Aresco league hold out for? If they turn that down we can use it against them in court to show that they are not negotiating in good faith.

Or they can unveil a new name on Tuesday like "Classic East" and the turn to the nBE and say: "Now you've got nothing. So, let's talk serious dollars."
03-02-2013 01:01 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(03-02-2013 01:01 PM)Melky Cabrera Wrote:  

Or they can unveil a new name on Tuesday like "Classic East" and the turn to the nBE and say: "Now you've got nothing. So, let's talk serious dollars."

But Fox WANTS the Big East name and not some new league name to try and build. They know that people will respond to "the Big East" not "classic East" or whatever. If we let them keep the name plus money then they win. They dont get both.
03-02-2013 01:29 PM
Attackcoog Offline

Well, to be fair--by taking the name you are asking the left behinds to basically start from scratch. The C-7 has had a year to consider the ins and outs of breaking away and creating a new league--the left behinds and the newbies never signed on for that duty. So if they are asking for alot and dont seem to be on the same page---its fair to say the C7 wasnt really on the same page a few months ago. The left behinds have now been placed in a very difficult position that they didnt desire. Im actually suprised they have yeilded so quickly on the concept of selling the name---the name recognition of the Big East name was really the only way the Aresco League had a chance to quickly regain its footing and continue to recruit at a higher level. Without the name, they are in for a decade or more of basic conference awareness building. I doubt they make it. Personally, I think the Aresco League is selling its future for a few dollars--but thats basically the same visionless short term decision making that has marked the leagues leadership for the last year--so Im not really surprised. Im sure a deal will be reached over the weekend since Aresco seems to be quite good at selling the conference for a few dollars.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2013 02:43 PM by Attackcoog.)
03-02-2013 02:39 PM
gosports1 Online
Heisman

I Root For: providence
the c7 should call themselves the BEast and just go by the initials BE
03-02-2013 02:45 PM
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(03-02-2013 02:39 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Well, to be fair--by taking the name you are asking the left behinds to basically start from scratch. The C-7 has had a year to consider the ins and outs of breaking away and creating a new league--the left behinds and the newbies never signed on for that duty. So if they are asking for alot and dont seem to be on the same page---its fair to say the C7 wasnt really on the same page a few months ago. The left behinds have now been placed in a very difficult position that they didnt desire. Im actually suprised they have yeilded so quickly on the concept of selling the name---the name recognition of the Big East name was really the only way the Aresco League had a chance to quickly regain its footing and continue to recruit at a higher level. Without the name, they are in for a decade or more of basic conference awareness building. I doubt they make it. Personally, I think the Aresco League is selling its future for a few dollars--but thats basically the same visionless short term decision making that has marked the leagues leadership for the last year--so Im not really surprised. Im sure a deal will be reached over the weekend since Aresco seems to be quite good at selling the conference for a few dollars.

Actually they did sign on for that when they signed up and agreed to the Mutual Commitment Agreement.

Oh and you will be building no matter what you name because no one is going to mistake you for the actual big east and none of the clout or attention they earned over the years will rub off on you. You get nothing special from the name. The second people realize it's Houston and not Syracuse they will know that you're charlatans. Might as well get a name that fits.
03-02-2013 03:08 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(03-02-2013 03:08 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

Actually they did sign on for that when they signed up and agreed to the Mutual Commitment Agreement.

Oh and you will be building no matter what you name because no one is going to mistake you for the actual big east and none of the clout or attention they earned over the years will rub off on you. You get nothing special from the name. The second people realize it's Houston and not Syracuse they will know that you're charlatans. Might as well get a name that fits.

If you want to play the Mutual Commitment Agreement card, then why you cant really whine about them for asking too much for the name. They are simply using the same agreement to get what they want. Both sides signed it. Personally, I get the feeling the football side would be just fine letting the C-7 leave early for free, split the money evenly, and leave the name with the football side. Each side got something they wanted.

Better yet, I dont know why they cant find a way to share the name. Maybe Big East Basketball Conference and Big East Athletic Association.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2013 03:46 PM by Attackcoog.)
03-02-2013 03:42 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(03-02-2013 03:42 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(03-02-2013 12:42 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  That would be the max offer, yeah. I suppose there's some room between "nearly all" and "all", but not much,

If you want to play the Mutual Commitment Agreement card, then why you cant really whine about them for asking too much for the name. They are simply using the same agreement to get what they want. Both sides signed it. Personally, I get the feeling the football side would be just fine letting the C-7 leave early for free, split the money evenly, and leave the name with the football side. Each side got something they wanted.

Better yet, I dont know why they cant find a way to share the name. Maybe Big East Basketball Conference and Big East Athletic Association.

Yes I can when they wont even agree to take ALL the money left behind and let the C7 out early with the name. They might also be delaying to screw over Fox and the C7's announcement. That seems petty to me if thats the case.

I know the Aresco league isn't willing to give up all that money for the name.
03-02-2013 03:49 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(03-02-2013 03:49 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(03-02-2013 03:42 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(03-02-2013 12:54 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  If Thamel is correct and thats the actual offer what else can the Aresco league hold out for? If they turn that down we can use it against them in court to show that they are not negotiating in good faith.

Yes I can when they wont even agree to take ALL the money left behind and let the C7 out early with the name. They might also be delaying to screw over Fox and the C7's announcement. That seems petty to me if thats the case.

I know the Aresco league isn't willing to give up all that money for the name.

I'd give up all the money for the name. Its worth it in the long run. That said, Aresco isnt making the decisions---a fact that he was likley reminded of on Friday. The football schools havnt made a good long run decision in a year. I dont expect them to start now. Im sure the C-7 will end up with the name shortly. After all the complaining and knashing of teeth, I agree with Frank the Tank that the final deal will look largely like the deal that was leaked Thursday.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2013 04:04 PM by Attackcoog.)
03-02-2013 04:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.